Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Another's Trash, My Treasure



Several weeks ago, my son's friend asked me if I would be interested in a rotisserie oven and a bread machine. It seems that his grandparents were moving and they were just going to toss these things. I told him sure, bring them to me, I can certainly put them to good use!

The rotisserie was still in a box and had never been opened.  It seems that his grandparents received it as a Christmas gift a few years back and never found a use for it. What a shame that they never found out how completely awesome this gift was, but I am over joyed with my good fortune.

He also told me the bread machine had only been used once. His grandmother found it harder to use than she thought it would be, so she just stuck it in pantry. Believe me, it looks like it has never been touched and unlike the grandmother, I don't find it hard to use at all. As I type, my house is filling with the awesome smell of fresh bread.

These are two items I have seriously contemplated purchasing lately.  I have seen several bread machines at the thrift store, but they were still  a bit pricey and I am kinda of leery about buying appliances used for a good sum of money.  You never know if it's going to work right until you get it home and if I'm gonna spend over $20 on it, then it better work!


Both the rotisserie and the bread machine has seen weekly use, since received.  I have gotten into the habit of roasting several chickens each weekend, to save on cooking time for meals during the week. I have also found that it is very easy to roast veggies for Meatless Monday's and seafood is so easy in this, that I have no problem keeping my my promise of eating fish at least once every week.  I have dozens of recipes to try out and I'm sure you will see many of them here in blogs to come. The best thing about it, in this hot weather, I'm not heating up my house with the oven! This is definitely a plus.

Today I am making honey wheat bread. It is very simple and oh so good! If you have the time, I suggest you make two loaves, because it never lasts very long around here.





I am also making a rotisserie pork tenderloin, soaked in a apple cider and brown sugar brine and topped with a ginger peach sauce. Green Beans Provencal with Herb Roasted Potatoes.




For the brine I used this recipe and doubled it for a 4 lb pork tenderloin.  I let it soak over night, but no longer than 12 hours.  Please remember to make sure that your pork tenderloin is not enhanced.  The label will indicate if it is enhanced.

Now, the peach sauce is all my own. Find the recipe below:

Peach Sauce:
4 tablespoons brown sugar
4 teaspoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2  teaspoon ground cinnamon
 4 fresh peaches, peeled and sliced

Mix brown sugar, vinegar, soy, cornstarch, ginger and cinnamon in small saucepan. Bring to boil on low heat; simmer 5 minutes. Add peaches; simmer 3 minutes longer. To serve, spoon warm peach sauce on pork tender loin.

No comments:

Post a Comment